Call for a consultation 239-260-9948

What Insurance Docs Should We Ask For From A Vendor?


Q. Our association wants to hire a small landscape company because the price quoted is outstanding, but the company has been slow to provide evidence of insurance for their business. What sort of insurance documentation should we require before hiring this type of vendor?

A. First, the contractor should have a worker's compensation policy in its own name. Contractors who use corporate exemptions, employee leasing companies, and insured subcontractors may be in compliance with the law, but they are not supplying worker's compensation coverage. These arrangements are nearly impossible to police and leave the Association with substantial exposures for liability and worker's compensation claims. Forged Certificates of Insurance are not uncommon. Even after verification, it is difficult to monitor for cancelation and non-renewal for most insurance coverage, but the Florida Division of Worker's Compensation's free website includes a proof of coverage database that is an easy way to verify and monitor worker insurance.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Talk to an experienced lawyer today. Call 239-260-9948 for a consultation.

Adamczyk Law Firm, PLLC

Adamczyk Law Firm, PLLC
9130 Galleria Court
Suite 201
Naples, FL 34109

Phone: 239-260-9948
Naples Law Office Map